Dark chocolate cookies or gingerbread cookies? Why choose? These flavors mesh well together into a dynamite cookie!
I couldn’t decide which cookie to make next, so I did a quick household poll. “Do you want more dark chocolate chip or how about some gingerbread? Mix it up a little?”
My guy says, “Sure, make chocolate gingerbread.”
Actually it was a great idea.
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons boiling water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, ground ginger,cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa.
- In a separate bowl beat together butter and brown sugar. Add molasses.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Add to butter mixture.
- Add in half the flour mixture at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add chips and candied ginger.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap or wax paper and refrigerate until firm; about 2 hours.
- Roll dough into 1½-inch balls then roll balls in granulated sugar.
- Place on a lightly greased or parchment covered cookie sheet and bake at 325 until cookies crack (about 10-12 minutes). Cool on cookie sheet a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.