I’ve been on a mango kick lately. Tomato Mango Salsa, Mango Cream Cheese and even mango straight up! So while I had mango fever, I decided to try a Chocolate Mango Cake! But I couldn’t stop there oh no no! I HAD to make mango whipped cream to top it off! The Mango Whipped Cream adds another fruity touch to this dessert.
The turbinado sugar, also known as “sugar in the raw” adds a slight molasses flavor.
If that doesn’t sound rich enough, I made chocolate buttercream frosting to go between the cake and whipped cream to keep them company while I grabbed a fork! (Is there a Chocoholics Anonymous?)
Here’s the recipe!
Chocolate Mango Cake
- 1 cup sugar, turbinado
- 1 cup flour, plus more to dust pan
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 each egg
- 1/4 cup mango, puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mango Whipped Cream
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mango, puree
2. Add wet ingredient to the dry mixture. Beat with electric mixer for about 3 minutes and bubbles form on top.
3. Grease and flour one 8-inch cake pan.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, bake on the center rack in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Cool pan several minutes before attempting to remove cake. Tap on bottom and sides of pan to loosen as necessary.
6. Transfer cake to serving dish. Cool at room temperature before refrigerating
Mango Whipped Cream
Chill bowl in freezer several minutes. Remove bowl, add cream, powdered sugar and mango. Beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over beat it or you will have butter!
Serve cake with a dollop of mango cream.
If you need a chocolate buttercream frosting recipe, I posted one below!
Oven Temperature: 350°F
Nutrition (per serving): 193 calories, 111 calories from fat, 12.6g total fat, 65.2mg cholesterol, 138.2mg sodium, 143.5mg potassium, 17.5g carbohydrates, 1.9g fiber, 2.4g sugar, 4.4g protein, 577.1IU vitamin a, 2.8mg vitamin c.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Be careful not to let butter melt anytime during the recipe process!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened (like ice cream or mashed potatoes)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk (added as 1 Tablespoon at a time)
Beat butter until slightly whipped, add 3 cups sugar beat on medium just until mixed, add salt, vanilla and one tablespoon of milk at time. Adjust sugar and milk until you reach desired consistency
Nutrition (per serving): 1746 calories, 1654 calories from fat, 188.3g total fat, 492.9mg cholesterol, 58.4mg sodium, 467.8mg potassium, 25.5g carbohydrates, 7.1g fiber, 13.4g sugar, 8.2g protein, 5788.6IU vitamin a, <1mg vitamin c.