“I received free samples of Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax and Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic from Dare Foods Incorporated mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Dare Foods Incorporated and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
To honor Celiac Disease Awareness Month, Dare Foods invited members of The Recipe ReDux to create tempting gluten free recipes using their delicious gluten free cracker varieties – Breton Gluten Free Original with Flax and Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic.
If you or someone in your family benefits from a gluten free diet these crackers are a perfect accompaniment to any meal. You don’t need to be gluten intolerant to appreciate these crackers.
I tried both and was pleasantly surprised. Both cracker varieties are flavorful and pair well with a variety of foods. I made smoked trout canopies that I’ll share next week. For now, I have a crab cake I think you’ll enjoy.
Crab Cakes tend to be dry when you use wheat-based bread crumbs. The dry bread soaks up moisture like a sponge from the crab and any condiment you choose to add. Mixing in an egg helps bind the crab cake but often that moisture is quickly absorbed by the crumbs.
Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic crackers supplied just enough binding texture to hold the crab cake together without drying it out. The delicate seasoning worked perfectly with the crab.
My guy claimed that these were the best crab cakes he had eaten in a long time. Hmm, hey I made my traditional ones only 2 weeks ago. I guess Breton is on to something!
- 8 ounces lump crab meat
- ¾ cup Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic Crackers, coarsely ground * ( about 8 crackers) divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise (gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dill
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- Coarsely grind Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic Crackers in a food processor.
- Add oil to frying pan.
- Mix crab meat, egg, lemon juice, dill and mayonnaise together in a large bowl. Add ½ cup Breton Gluten Free Herb and Garlic Cracker crumbs and mix well. If too moist to hold together, add additional reserved crumbs.
- Divide mixtures into 4 cakes.
- Fry over medium-high heat. Fry until golden brown and set. About 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favorite cocktail or tartar sauce.
Make an easy cocktail sauce by combining chili sauce, horseradish and lemon juice.
Keep in touch with the latest news and great meal ideas from Dare Foods and Breton.
At their website: www.darefoods.com
On Facebook: facebook.com/Breton