Disclaimer: I received a sample kit from Smokin O’s to try and review. I received no further compensation. All opinions are my own.
Smoky Salmon Carbonara adds the nutrition of salmon to this rich pasta dish. Slightly smoky taste comes from grilling salmon with Smokin O’s natural wood discs.
This recipe is part of #RecipeMakeover week.
Recipe for Smoky Salmon Carbonara is below plus recipes from 40+ bloggers featured this week!
This week, I’ve joined forced with 40+ of my food blogger friends to present #RecipeMakeover. During this week, we’ll all be sharing our favorite better-for-you alternatives to unhealthy dishes. Follow along on any of the blogs below or with the hashtag, #RecipeMakeover on social media to find nutritious dishes that are packed with flavor.
Thanks to our hosts, Allison, Jess and Sharon from The PinterTest Kitchen for organizing this giveaway event!
A huge THANK YOU to our sponsors, who have made #RecipeMakeover possible! They’ve provided a number of awesome products that you can win by entering our #RecipeMakeover giveaway below.
Just follow the instructions below, and you could win the following prize pack:
- Butter-flavored coconut oil and digestive blend from our sponsor Barlean’s – Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil is an organic, dairy-free alternative that can be used as a 1:1 substitution for butter. Their digestive blend is an organic, vegan combination of flaxseed, chai seed, quinoa, unsweetened shredded coconut, and a proprietary pumpkin blend, that is delicious sprinkled into salads, smoothies, oatmeal, and more.
- Sampler pack of original, mesquite, and applewood Smokin O’s from our sponsor Smokin O’s – Instead of frying, choose a healthier cooking option like grilling! Smokin O’s is an innovative new product that allows you to add a natural wood taste even if you are using a propane grill, and they work great in charcoal grills and smokers too. No soaking, no mess, no wait – just delicious wood flavoring from a 100% natural product with no binders or chemicals.
- 4 flatbread pizzas from our sponsor American Flatbread – Choose from any of America Flatbread’s 15 all-natural, handmade pizza varieties, available at your local grocery store. These pizzas feature 100% organically grown wheat crusts and are topped with fresh herbs, vegetables, and cheeses (no rBST growth hormone!). They’re all-natural, with no preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, and handcrafted from scratch and par-baked in wood-fired ovens.
- 5 containers (48 oz) of ice cream from our sponsor Turkey Hill – Ice cream for a health food event? Try out their line of no-sugar-added products for a sweet treat without the guilt or their line of light ice creams, which have a rich taste with a fraction of the fat. They also have a rainbow sherbet option, which is Vitamin C and naturally low in fat. These all make great dessert options for special occasions. Turkey Hill also believes in implementing green initiatives to cut down on waste, reduce packaging, and minimize outputs into the environment.
- 15 tuna creations pouches from our sponsor StarKist – StarKist tuna pouches all have at least 13 grams of protein, and their BOLD line now includes three gluten-free varieties: Tuna Creations® BOLD Thai Chili Style; Tuna Creations® BOLD Jalapeño; and Tuna Creations® BOLD Hot Buffalo Style.
- Mueller Spiral-Ultra 4-Blade Spiralizer from blog hosts, The PinterTest Kitchen – this 4-in-1 gadget allows you to spiralize your favorite veggies, and it also has extra attachments for a juicer, mandolin and grater.
This prize pack is valued at over $200, and one lucky winner will get it all! This giveaway is open world-wide except where prohibited. A winner will be randomly drawn on April 29, at the conclusion of #RecipeMakeover, and the winner will be contact via email.
These easy to use compressed wooden discs by Smokin O’s add a smoky taste to foods cooked on a gas grill, conventional charcoal grill or smoker.
This salmon filet is ready for adding to the carbonara. Just peel off the crisp skin and remove any bloodline or gray-colored meat if desired.
Here’s the recipe!
- 8 ounces (1/2 box) dry spaghetti
- 4 to 6 ounce salmon filet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to grease grill
- 1 smokin O's disc (optional)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Romano blend
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon (optional)
- Heat grill on high to at least 400 degrees. Use Smokin' O's according to package directions.
- Add a light coating of vegetable oil to the salmon and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to 350 and grill salmon skin side down for approximately 3 minutes until skin is crisp and flesh starts to become opaque. Flip and continue cooking until fish easily flakes (about another 3 to 4 minutes).
- Remove skin and bloodline meat if desired. Flake.
- Whisk together eggs and cheese.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving hot pasta liquid to thin sauce if desired.
- Quickly stir egg mixture into HOT pasta. Pasta must be hot to cook eggs. Keep tossing to evenly coat pasta and not create scrambled egg texture. Add a bit of HOT pasta water to thin if desired.
- Add salmon, bacon and parsley. Toss to coat,
- Serve with a side of Parmesan if desired.
Check out today’s Recipe Makeovers from participating bloggers!