Strawberry Crumb Bars made with homemade strawberry jam and oatmeal. These bars turned out to be my new “not chocolate” favorites. That says a lot.
So for this month’s Fill the Cookie Jar, “Mother’s Favorites” it had to be these crumb bars.
Every month our cookie loving group meets to share our best cookies and bars to fit the theme.
Thank you Cynthia Landrie from Feeding Big at http://FeedingBig.com for hosting this fun event!
I made the strawberry filling for these crumb bars with frozen strawberries. I used berries that I froze, but you can use purchased ones. Frozen berries work cleaner for chopping and mincing. I can cut frozen berries without losing all that delicious juice.
Bring the strawberries, sugar, water, lemon and cornstarch to a boil. Simmer until berries are soft and sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
Mix together crumb ingredients. Divide into 2 parts. Press one part into a 8×8-inch greased and floured pan.
Add jam layer and top with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until crumbs are bowned and crust sets. Cool in pan for a few minutes on a wire rack. Cut while warm and place pieces on rack to finish cooling.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, chopper
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Mix together crumb ingredients Divide into 2 parts. Press one part into greased and floured 8x8-inch pan.
- Mix together jam ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly until thick.
- Spread jam over crumb crust. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over jam layer.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes until crumbs are bowned and crust sets. Cool in pan for a few minutes on a wire rack. Cut while warm and place pieces on rack to finish cooling.