Tropical Chicken Meatball Crostini adds tropical flair to any party! Juicy chicken, pineapple, basil and toasted coconut. Serve with honey, basil yogurt.
I’m a big fan of small bites. I’d rather make a meal from a little of this and a little of that spread. At a party, I’m gracious and take what the host offers. Sometimes those choices aren’t the healthiest.
In the name of flavor, fried wings, fat-laden crackers, spreads and salty snacks often top the list. I’m all for those foods in moderation. I’ve been known to tempt a party goer or two myself.
But today I’m focusing on a healthier chicken and pineapple combo.
Tropical Chicken Meatball Crostini
I reworked the recipe and kept the chicken, pineapple and toasted coconut flavors. These bites work well at a tropical theme or for any appetizer, small plates or tapas party!
I served the picks upright on thick, toasted bread slices for a multi-level display. You can skip the bread if you like!
- 1 Fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks, save top for display
- 1 French bread cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together ground chicken, garlic, onion and seasonings. Add just enough of the bread crumbs to form a meatball consistency.
- Heat oil in medium-sized skillet. Portion meatball mix into 1-inch sized meatballs. Brown meatballs on all sides.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake meatballs until completely cooked (about 10 minutes). Cool.
- Cut cooled meatballs into slices.
- While meatballs cool, toast bread slices.
- Layer meatball slices with basil leaves and pineapple on toothpicks.
- Stack and stagger bread slices on a serving tray. Insert picks. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Serve with plain yogurt drizzled with honey and garnished with a basil leaf.
Food for Thought… Which appetizers grab your attention? Something spicy? Something sweet? Maybe something salty. I’d love to hear your ideas in a comment below.