“By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”
Pancakes, muffins, bread, and ice cream are the first things I think about when I hear the word, “blueberries”. When I hear the word, “wild” I think natural, exciting, tantalizing. Put the two together and “wild blueberries” knock me over!
If you never experienced wild blueberries, here are some interesting facts provided by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America.
- Wild Blueberries are one of only three berries native to North America. The continent’s earliest inhabitants were first to use the tiny berries, both fresh and dried, for their flavor, nutrition and healing qualities.
- Wild Blueberries are wildly different from the regular blueberries you normally find in the produce section. This wild superfruit has a more intense blueberry flavor, double the antioxidants, and a deeper blue pigment – distinctive qualities borne of the harsh climate and thin glacial soils of Maine, Eastern Canada and Quebec.
Don’t be fooled by their size – Wild Blueberries pack more into their tiny blue bodies than any other blueberry on this big blue planet.
Most Wild Blueberries are frozen at harvest, locking in their intense blueberry flavor and antioxidant power.
Frozen Fresh Wild Blueberries are just as nutritious as fresh and may even retain their nutritional value longer
- Frozen Fresh Wild Blueberries are available year-round; they can be used right out of the freezer – no thawing required
- Frozen Fresh Wild Blueberries offer consumers the most convenient way to have the Antioxidant Superfruit at hand at all times.
- Frozen Fresh Wild Blueberries make it easy to get your “Daily Dose of Wild Blue”
- Frozen Wild Blueberries are an excellent value, they offer consistent quality, ease of use, high antioxidant content, health benefits, less spoilage, affordability.
Recipe ReDux challenged its members to join in the fun by creating a healthy recipe with wild blueberries. I do love the taste of blueberry and chicken as an entree so I decided to make a salad of chicken and wild blueberries. Lemon and thyme naturally enhance chicken and both go well with wild blueberries. I used light lemon yogurt as my base for the dressing. A little red onion balances out the sweetness.
Wild Blueberry Chicken Salad
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 cup *wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup low-fat or non-fat lemon yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
Mix together yogurt, onion, thyme and lemon zest.
Add wild blueberries and chicken. Toss to coat. Serve on a bed of lettuce or mixed greens. This would taste equally good on hearty whole grain bread.
*I used canned wild blueberries which were available in my area. Check the freezer section for wild blueberries at a store near you.
- ? 1 cup cooked chicken
- ? 1 cup *wild blueberries
- ? 1/2 cup low-fat or non-fat lemon yogurt
- ? 1 teaspoon minced red onion
- ? 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- ? 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Mix together yogurt, onion, thyme and lemon zest.
- Add wild blueberries and chicken. Toss to coat. Serve on a bed of lettuce or mixed greens. This would taste equally good on hearty whole grain bread.
Connect with Wild Blueberry Association of North America (WBANA)