Chocolate Chai Cake takes cinnamon spicy chai tea and deep, rich chocolate cake to another level.
When The Recipe ReDux asked us to use tea to help create a healthier version of a dish, I went straight to chai tea.
Chai Tea blends come as enhanced black or green tea. Cinnamon, ginger, clove and cardamom are added to the tea. These warm spices bring a higher level of antioxidants to the brew. I also used unsweetened almond milk in place of regular milk. If you would like to take the recipe a step farther, cut the sugar in half by using a substitute like Monkfruit In the Raw.
The frosting on these cakes is made with chai tea and a minimal amount of butter.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar (or ½ cup sugar plus ½ cup Monkfruit in the Raw)
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons dark cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brewed chai tea plus ¼ cup reserved
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg,beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons brewed chai tea
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together chai tea, almond milk, egg, vanilla and oil.
- add wet to dry ingredients and mix with electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Spoon ⅓ cup batter into individual paper lined cupcake sheet compartments.
- Bake at 350 approximately 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl. Whisk by hand or use electric mixer.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
So what’s so healthy about this cupcake?
- dark cocoa is high in antioxidants
- cinnamon has anti-inflamatory properties
- ginger aids in digestion
- almond milk is rich in calcium
Check out these other great recipes using tea from members of The Recipe ReDux!
Bring your favorite chocolate dessert to Roxana’s home baking #chocolateparty and win amazing prizes from Imperial Sugar®, Gold Medal Flour®, Safest Choice™ Pasteurized Eggs and KitchenAid®