Fluffernutter Waffles layer crunchy peanut butter and gooey fluff between two peanut butter waffles. Top with crushed peanuts. A peanut lover’s heaven!
Who doesn’t like waffles?
Strawberry or blueberry topped and piled high with whip cream.
Or maybe you’re a syrup or powdered sugar fan?
What do all these waffles have in common besides the fact that they are delicious?
Here’s a hint:
You guessed it! They all needed me to use a waffle iron.
This week Sunday Supper celebrates that wondrous tool with a salute to waffles!
June 29th is National Waffle Iron Day and we are kicking it off with a huge waffle event! Although waffles have been around since the 14th century, the first American patent for a waffle iron was issued in 1869. Americans LOVE their waffles and waffle irons and have been making all sorts of waffle creations over the years! Sweet waffles, savory waffles, even omelets made on a waffle iron all are fair game in this event. We want to hear what creative recipe you like to make on your waffle iron! So heat up that iron and join us as we celebrate National Waffle Iron Day!
My contribution this week is for the peanut lovers out there.
Who remembers Fluffernutter sandwiches? A great kid treat with a cold glass of milk.
Fluffernutter sandwiches were a treat saved for special occasions. I must confess I would have rather had a PB&J with fluff than just a fluff and peanut butter sandwich.
These waffles are also made with peanut butter powder. That’s 3 times the peanutty goodness in every bite.
Go ahead, take a bite.
Here’s the recipe to make your own batch. This batter recipe makes 8 standard size square waffles. Enough for 4 people unless you have BIG peanut butter fans at your house!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup powder peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Whisk together flour, brown sugar, powdered peanuts, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate container, whisk together butter, milk and vanilla . When cool, slowly add to eggs.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry mixture.
- Pour batter onto lightly greased hot waffle iron.
- Top with additional peanut butter and fluff. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts if desired.
Don’t limit using your waffle iron for batter beauties. It makes a great sandwich press too!
Food for Thought…Have you ever made anything unusual with your waffle iron? Maybe brownies, cookies or some type of sandwich? I’d love to hear your ideas for the perfect waffle or sandwich made in a waffle maker! Please share your thoughts in a comment below.
In the meantime, enjoy all these delicious waffle ideas coming to you this week from Sunday Supper!
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Black Raspberry Cheesecake Lemon Waffles by From Gate to Plate
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- “Elvis Waffles” Peanut Butter Bacon with Banana by Dash of Evans
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Iced Gluten Free Waffle Cookies by What The Fork Food Blog
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebabs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Eggs Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Falafel Waffles by Helpful Homemade
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement