This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Fall is the start of casserole season here. It is so easy to include “Beef as Part of A Healthy Plate”. When it comes to choosing healthy proteins, lean beef is a delicious and healthy choice. It’s also a perfect partner for fruits, vegetables and whole grains, making it even easier to enjoy a balanced diet.
I like putting beef, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa or barley and vegetables together and pop them in the oven. Magic happens in there, I swear! All those juices and flavors blend together to make an entire new dish from what I put in the oven.
Nutty brown rice and pasta absorb the essence of meat and broth. Vegetables play both sides. Potatoes, carrots and beans give off flavor and take on their surroundings at the same time!
Beef enhances so many types of dishes.
I do love casseroles but soups and stews are on my must make list too! Who doesn’t like crock of hearty beef stew or smoldering bowl of beef barley soup?
For soups and stews I use a shoulder round roast or bottom round roast I can braise for an hour or two to draw out all the beefy goodness and create an outstanding broth. It’s a Low and Slow Experience way of cooking. Making the same roast in a slow-cooker will accomplish the same results.
The Beef Checkoff has a great free flipbook full of information called Big Nutrition in a Small Package .
In it you’ll find:
- more on beef nutrition (beef offers a spectrum of nutrition)
- the 10 most popular cuts of beef
- recipes for every meal time
- inspiring Q&A
You can also find more great meal ideas on the Healthy Meals with Beef Pinterest Board!
Connect and stay in touch with The Beef Checkoff through their social media sites:
Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice blends beef, vegetables, fruit and grains into one healthy meal. Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner!
- 1 (8-ounce) sirloin tip steak or tenderloin steak cut into 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Mandarin oranges, canned, drained
- 6 ounces whole green beans fresh or frozen
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds blanched or toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Carefully add oil to hot skillet. Saute steak 2 to 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, blanch onions and beans in orange juice until softened. Add thyme leaves.
- Layer rice, steak pieces, beans and oranges in a greased 8x8-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes to thoroughly heat and blend flavors. Garnish with thyme springs.
Use cooking spray or lightly butter dish to prevent rice from sticking.
Now that you know how easy it is to create healthy, well-balanced meals with beef, which combination will you try first? Please let me know in the comments below!
Enjoy all these great Sunday Supper meal ideas showcasing “Beef as Part of A Healthy Plate”!
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.