Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry adds colorful, full-flavored nutrition to a quick dinner.
This week Sunday Supper is featuring Lean Beef Recipes.
Beef often gets a bad reputation as an unhealthy food, but lean beef can make for some healthy and delicious recipes.
Here’s some facts about lean beef from The Beef Checkoff.
- A 3 o.z. serving of lean beef is about 150 calories
- Nearly half of the daily value for protein which helps build strong muscles
- Less than 10 grams of fat per serving, 4.5 grams or less of saturated fat
- Less than 95 mg of cholesterol
- delivers iron and B-vitamins to help satisfy you and maintain a healthy weight
- Research suggests that eating lean beef can also improve cholesterol levels.
Stir-fry is a quick and easy meal as individual as you are. I like to add a lean protein like beef that cooks quickly but add a lot of flavor. Bright colored veggies stay that way when you flash cook them in a hot pan with oil. Quick cooking also reserves the crunch of vegetables like celery, broccoli and carrots.
Texture is also important. I add water chestnuts and bamboo shoots for contrast.
A good base vegetable is cabbage. Cabbage goes with any protein and you can vary the thickness depending on your tastes at the time.
I’m hooked on black sesame seeds lately for their taste and appearance. Hemp seeds also often find their way into my stir-fry.
- 12 ounces lean beef pounded thin and cut into 1/-inch strips (I used top round)
- 4 cups assorted vegetables chopped; cabbage, broccoli, carrots, scallions, snow peas, red peppers, mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced or diced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Heat oils in skillet below smoke point. Add beef and vegetables. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and broth. Reduce heat slightly and cook until beef is done and vegetables are crisp tender. Sprinkle with cornstarch if desired to thicken.
- Serve as is or over cooked rice or ramen. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
Enjoy all these great recipe ideas for lean beef meals from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spaghetti and Meatball Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Thai Steak Salad with Noodles by Positively Stacey
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Shepherd’s Pie by Simple and Savory
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Pepper Beef with Broccoli and Noodles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Sriracha Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Family Foodie
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Eggs Wraps by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.