Beefy Lima Bean Casserole pairs tender baby lima beans with lean ground beef and brown rice. This tasty casserole dishes up the beans for this week’s Beantastic Sunday Supper Event hosted by Tammi of Momma’s Meals !
I love beans of all kinds from green string beans to black-eyed peas. Even though sometimes beans don’t like me back. If you know what I mean. 😉
Beans are high in fiber, protein and B-Vitamins.
One of the great things about dried beans is that those are pretty much, interchangeable in recipes. Each variety brings something different to the table or cook-pot so-to-speak.
I chose limas for this dish, simply because I was hungry for those beans. Chickpeas, navy, northern, pinto, black or many other kinds would work as well. This casserole tastes great without the beef too!
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen lima beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- Cook brown rice in vegetable broth for approximately 45 minutes until tender.
- Soak tomatoes in hot water for about 30 minutes until soft. Drain reserving liquid.
- While rice cooks, fry ground beef, onion, garlic salt in vegetable oil. Drain.
- Prepare limas according to package directions.
- Stir together cooked rice, beef mix, tomatoes and lima beans. season with curry powder. Add reserved tomato water as need.
- Heat thoroughly and serve.
Enjoy all these great ideas for beans in your next meal from the Sunday Supper Group!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.