Black-Eyed Susan is one of my favorite flowers, It turns out, its also one of my favorite cakes.
This cake was my Mom’s go-to cake. Its chocolate and orange flavor combination was always a hit. Now keep in mind, Black-Eyed Susan Cake, also known as Brown-Eyed Susan Cake was popular 40 years ago. Cakes back then tended to be drier than today’s offerings. If you are looking for a moist, fudge-like cake I can get you the recipe here .
Today the day is all about Mom!
A Mother can be your best friend, strict teacher and loving parent, all rolled into one. This is how it was for me. My Mom was my greatest supporter and protector. At times she may have overdone the protecting part. Thanks Mom! Love and miss ya!
For our Mother’s Day Sunday Supper we’re showcasing Mom; her cooking, favorite dinners, stories, tips and techniques. Thank you Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake for hosting this awesome event!
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!
Whimsical watercolor Black-Eyed Susans!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- Grease and flour 2 8-inch cake pans
- Cream together, butter and sugar. Add eggs.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk until both are incorporated.
- Divide batter into 2 bowls.
- Add 1½ squares melted chocolate, ⅛ teaspoon baking soda, 1 Tablespoon milk
- Add 2 Tablespoons orange juice, 1 Tablespoon orange zest and 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Alternate dropping spoonfuls of chocolate and orange batter into prepared pans as evenly as possible. Lightly tap pan on the counter to level. This will keep the flavors from blending.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until cake tests done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Frost and decorate as desired.
Enjoy all these great Mother’s Day Tribute recipes from the Sunday Supper Group!
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.