Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup tastes great on cold winter day. Skip the cream and enjoy a lighter version that is smooth and naturally creamy.
This week Sunday Supper sheds the calories, extra fat and resolves to eat light. Thanks T.R. from Gluten Free Crumbley for hosting this event!
Many of us resolve to eat lighter, but what does that mean?
More salads? Depending what toppings those tossed salads include, you could be making less than lighter meals. Rich dressings, fatty meats like bacon (delicious yes I know, still…), nuts, sweetened dried fruit, and buttery croutons can contribute to defeating your goal.
Remember all things in moderation.
Soup recipes hide all kinds of hidden calories. These are things we don’t think about. Butter in the roux, heavy cream instead of milk, meat based broth not labeled non-fat or low-fat, even beet sugar in some flavor enhancers for stews.
Remember all things in moderation.
Read labels. Today’s food labels are more informative than ever.
Eating lighter doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor.
Here’s a breakdown of my changes to my recipe for Butternut Squash Soup.
I recommend adding new spices to your dishes. I’m not a chilihead or fan of spicy, hot dishes. A dash of heat is good. White pepper worked perfectly for this soup. A little coriander and allspice added warm undertones.
Introducing different vegetables to your classic soup recipes can be just the change it needs.
I added roasted red peppers to my butternut squash soup on a whim. I sneak pureed veggies into soups as thickeners a lot. Bits of red pepper added texture as well as color.
Ditch the cream. As much as I love cream in soup, this recipe didn’t really need the extra calories. If you miss the dairy aspect, try adding a dollop of plain yogurt to your bowl.
Here is the finished version. What spices would you add to switch this soup up a bit and still keep it light?
- 4 cups roasted butternut squash
- ½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 cup vegetable or non-fat chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon white pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- salt to taste
- Place squash, red peppers and broth in a 2-quart or larger saucepan. Puree with an immersion blender or puree in standard blender before adding to saucepan.
- Stir in spices, adjust as need to taste .Heat over low-medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- serve alone or with a dollop of plain non-fat yogurt.
Lighten up your meals this year with some great menu ideas from the Sunday Supper Group!
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.