I almost didn’t participate this week because I wasn’t sure how to approach writing my post. Angel on one shoulder, Devil on the other.
I needed to focus on the positive. First, I positively love chocolate. Second, I positively love being part of Sunday Supper!
That made it a little easier. I chose to make a recipe adapted from my first acquired cookbook, called Cooking for Two. I bought the cookbook 40 years ago when it was popular to start a “hope chest” and fill it with things you need when you first get married. Stuff like dishes, cooking tools, pots and pans, towels, et cetera. You get the picture. I still have the real cedar chest, too. Now it is filled with pictures and memories.
Thanks Susan for hosting this week! You can find her most days at The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen where she makes you feel very welcome.
This light dessert has the rich flavor of dark chocolate marshmallow pudding with the texture of a mousse.
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 3/4 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons water
- dash of salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- candy hearts for decorating, (optional)
- Combine chocolate, marshmallows, salt and water in a double boiler. Melt, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Lightly beat egg yolk.
- Drizzle a few drops of chocolate mixture into egg yolk to temper before adding to the pot. Slowly whisk in egg yolk back into pot.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add vanilla and cool.
- Beat egg white into stiff peaks.
- Fold whites into cooled chocolate mixture then fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into 4 dishes and chill two and freeze two or just chill all.
- Garnish with nuts and candy if desired.
Just for you, just for two menu ideas from our Sunday Supper Contributors!
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia En Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.