I have green on my mind. Now I know that green can be interpreted in many ways. Spring, Saint Patty’s Day, being novice, being environmentally conscience, salad type veggies, envy and even Shrek was green. So for this week’s Sunday Supper I dug into my roots.
I was married to an Irishman and carried that name for sometime. Irish beer is popular for Saint Patrick’s Day recipes. Even though Guinness is my favorite beer (no promotion, just stating a fact), I didn’t cook anything for this event with it. But I will tip my hat to the clan.
My suppressed Italian side begged to be represented today. Pesto made with fresh, fragrant basil is about as green as you can get! Inhale that minty aroma and you can’t help but think spring, maybe even summer!
Thank you Foodie Stuntman for hosting this Eat Your Greens event! Stop by and say hello to him at Crazy Foodie Stunts and witness some great food challenges that he takes!
Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad
For this salad you can use some of your favorite jarred pesto or make it fresh. If you need a pesto recipe, try mine here .
To make it creamy, I add a little light mayo and light sour cream. Chicken works great with this dressing but shrimp is equally good.
Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and add a few croutons for the crunch factor. Of course you need to serve it on a bed of greens. Okay, you can make a sandwich with it too!
- 1 4-ounce chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped celery
- ¼ cup light mayo
- 2 Tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts
- croutons (optional)
- mix together chicken, celery, mayo, sour cream and pesto.
- Arrange on a bed of greens if desired and garnish with walnuts and croutons.
Here is how the Sunday Supper Group shows off their green side!
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.