Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs deliver tender shrimp and garlic in a familiar vessel, the meatball.
Everybody loves a good old-fashioned meatball, right? Bits of shrimp, minced onion, dill… what’s that? That concoction doesn’t sound like a meatball to you? Me neither. It’s better.
Now it’s true I do love a good beef meatball or even one made with a combination of beef, pork and veal. The must have meat mix. I have several recipes for ground turkey meatballs and even ground chicken like this in pizza…
or in traditional tomato-based sauce.
So for this week’s Sunday Supper I thought I’d step out of the box and use shrimp.
Ground raw shrimp have a texture similar to ground turkey. The meat is lean and very moist. No egg is needed. What I did is add Meyer lemon juice with zest, dill, minced onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper and a bit of bread crumb inside and out.
Like with any meatball, you want to handle it as little as possible. Whatever you do, don’t compact or squoosh the air out! That is meatball 101. Compaction doesn’t allow for the natural juices to flow between the bits of meat. The result is often a dry, crumbly meatball. Yuck.
I sauted these shrimp balls first in a bit of olive oil to brown on all sides.
Then these babies get finished off in the oven.
Add pesto serve with your favorite noodle!
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled deveined
- juice of 1 Meyer lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 1/2 cup dry plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 cup pesto
- Place cleaned shrimp in a food processor. Grind into a chopped paste. There should still be bits visible.
- Mix shrimp with juice, zest, dill, garlic, onion salt and pepper.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of the breadcrumbs just enough to hold mix together.
- Heat oil in medium-sized skillet.
- Gently roll shrimp balls in crumbs. Fry over medium-high heat, turning constantly to brown on all sides.
- Transfer shrimp balls to an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes turning occasionally until completely cooked.
- Toss in pesto and serve over your favorite pasta or skewer as an appetizer.
Thank you Sue Slusser Lau of A Palatable Pastime for hosting this event!!
Have a ball (meatball that is) with these great takes on meatballs from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Korean Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Tofu Nuggets from NinjaBaker
- Turkey Meatballs in Orange Sauce from Pine Needles In My Salad
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baked Meatballs with Swiss Chard from And She Cooks
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Deep Dish Skillet Meatball Pizza from From Gate to Plate
- Fightin’ Irish Balls from Monica’s Table
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Meatballs from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Meatball Ranch Stroganoff from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sun Dried Tomato & Bulgarian Feta Chicken Meatballs over Lemon-Spinach Orzo From Simply Healthy Family
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs with Zucchini Ribbons from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Thai Red Curry Meatballs with Coconut Curry Sauce from kimchi MOM
- Ultimate Pasta & Meatballs from MealDiva
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement