Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner gives you a quick, one pan meal for busy nights or meatless meals. Cabbage, squash, onions and spinach sautéed in a light garlic basil sauce.
School is in back in session. I work at a college, so that means my summer vacation is over too! A new semester brings new faces and new appetites to the campus. I’m excited to get back into swing of things. New menu ideas with seasonally based foods like cabbage, winter squash and apples start filling the charts.
We’re always on the lookout for more vegetarian meal plans. Typically we have about a 20 percent vegetarian population on campus. On top of that, many students choose a vegetable based meal at least once per week.
I’m the same way at home. I try to make at least one meatless meal per week. Often these meals wind up being skillet dinners.
This week Sunday Supper is focusing on easy, skillet meals for busy back to school schedules. Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner let me play around with creating a meatless dinner that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
You can add cooked pasta or rice if you like. We like it straight up with just veggies!
- 4 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch divided (optional)
- Saute squash, cabbage and onions in butter and oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until squash browns and cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add garlic, spinach and lemon juice cook about 1 minute until spinach begins to wilt.
- Add stock and basil. Reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is tender and sauce begins to thicken. Stir in dill. Add cornstarch 1 teaspoon at a time if necessary to thicken to desired consistency.
Omit butter and add additional oil to create a vegan version.
Food for thought…Which vegetable is your go to star for skillet dishes? I like cabbage or zucchini ribbons. I’d love to hear your ideas in a comment below!
Enjoy these delicious skillet meal ideas from Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.