This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Gallo Family Vineyards in conjunction with Sunday Supper. All opinions are my own.
Game Day around here means at any given time you could be watching Pro football, college bowls, hockey or basketball. My guy loves them all. Sure he has some favorite teams and all-time favorite players, like Walter Payton from the Chicago Bears, but in general, it’s about the game.
I’m not saying he’s a couch potato. He’s also a runner when not watching sports, logging in an average of 12 miles per run.
Me on the other hand I stay neutral when it comes to sports.
No matter what sport is on the TV there will be food and drinks involved. That is my department.
Barbecue fills the bill on such occasions. You can pile on as much or as little as you want. I’ll make a crock of Sloppy Joes or Pulled Pork BBQ with ciabatta, onion or Kaiser rolls. Serve it up with some snacks and drinks and it is party time!
When I learned that Gallo Family Vineyards was joining us around the table this week for Sunday Supper, I wanted to make something special.
I love their White Merlot and I wanted to create a barbecue that pairs well with its medium-bodied sweetness. Gallo describes their White Merlot as being like, “A family reunion of all the flavors of the Merlot grape including ripe plum, blueberry, and hints of cranberry but in a lighter bodied, brighter style.” They go on to say that their White Merlot pairs well with spicy foods and sweet and smoky glazed ham.
I decided to make a ham barbecue with a horseradish and chili based sauce, topped with creamy cole slaw.
You can adjust this recipe to feed your hungry crowd as needed!
- 4 cups shredded cooked ham (I use shank meat, any cut is fine)
- 8 Rolls (Kaiser, Onion, Ciabatta)
- 1/2 cup Chili sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Horseradish
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup mayonnaise, regular or low-calorie
- 1/2 sour cream, regular or light
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- Whisk sugar in lemon juice to dissolve sugar. Add mayo, sour cream, mustards and celery seed. Toss vegetables dressing and allow cole slaw to marinate several hours before the game.
- Mix together sauce ingredients and coat the ham pieces. Heat thoroughly to 165 degrees over medium heat or place in slow-cooker on high for 1 hour and keep warm.
- Assemble your sandwich topped with cole slaw or serve some on the side.
You can find the perfect pairings for your Game Day food at here and where to buy it at their handy store locator .
Connect with Gallo Family Vineyards and stay informed on all their exciting news and specials!
Visit their website: www.gallofamily.com
Are you ready for some great Game Day food and Gallo wine pairings? Here are our offerings from the Sunday Supper Group!
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.