Irish Amber Ale Pretzels bring soft, chewy goodness to the table. Rich with buttermilk and Irish Amber Ale. Skip the yeast. Ready in under 30 minutes!
Welcome to another addition of Bread Bakers! Today we’re getting our Irish on!
It’s hard to believe these soft, chewy pretzels are made with baking powder. I used a standard baking soda bath to produce that popular texture we all love in a soft pretzel.
Bob’s Red Mill Artisan Flour helped give these pretzels an out of this world texture! I used Smithwick’s Irish Amber Ale as the beer for these pretzels. Not too heavy and oh so flavorful!
I’ll make these pretzels again and again.
You have to have spicy mustard and an Irish Ale wouldn’t hurt either!
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour, divided (I use Bob's Red Mill Artisan Bread Flour)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 6 ounces buttermilk
- 6 ounces amber ale or lager, at room temperature
- 1 egg beaten with water for egg wash
- Coarse or Kosher or sea salt for topping pretzels
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Bring water and baking soda to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix buttermilk, ale and honey together, Add to flour mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece in a bit of flour and stretch into rope. Form into pretzel or twist shape.
- Dip pretzels in baking soda water for a few seconds and then place on a silicone lined cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool a bit on rack. Enjoy warm alone or with mustard or cheese sauce.
Hosting for Bread Bakers this month is Wendy Wilk of A Day in the Life on the Farm. https://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com Thanks Wendy for a great theme!
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.
Enjoy all these delicious Irish inspired breads today from the Bread Bakers!
- Apple, Beer, and Cheddar Soda Bread by A Baker’s House
- Blaa by Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Caraway Rye Soda Bread by A Salad For All Seasons
- Carrot and Dillisk Bread by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Cheddar and Herbs Soda Bread by Ambrosia
- Cranberry and Poppy Seed Irish Bread by kidsandchic
- Currant Drop Scones by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Four leaf Clover Rolls by Cook’s Hideout
- Guinness Bread Rolls by The Bread She Bakes
- Guinness Buckwheat Bread by Baking Sense
- Irish Amber Ale Pretzels by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Barmbrack by The Schizo Chef
- Irish Freckle Bread by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Irish Freckle Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Irish Multigrain Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Irish Raisin Tea Scones by Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Irish Soda Bread by Herbivore Cucina
- Irish Soda Bread by Sneha’s Recipe
- Irish Soda Bread Scones by Spill the Spices
- Irish Soda Buttermilk Bread by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Irish Soda Farls by Food Lust People Love
- Oat and Potato Bread by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Potato Clover Leaf Rolls by Spiceroots
- Soft Wheat Irish Soda Scones with Raisins (Spotted Dog) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Super Easy Potato Roll Recipe by Hostess At Heart