Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
There is nothing like a picnic to unwind and enjoy the best of what summer has to offer. No fuss, only fun! Picnics create wonderful memories. Sometimes I can remember a past picnic just by which foods and drinks were served.
The nice thing about picnics is they come in all shapes and sizes.
I love when friends call to say that we should do lunch. I like to suggest a quiet place where we can catch up and talk. I’m known to say, “Let’s pack something to share.”
Spontaneous picnics let you gather what you have available. Pack a small cooler with some finger food like fresh cut bell pepper strips, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, grapes, oranges and some crackers. Maybe a few cheese sticks too. A hearty sandwich like a turkey club to split might be all you need.
Of course you also need something to drink that travels well.
Gallo mini bottles are a perfect single serving size.
You can choose from 9 delicious varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Pink Moscato, Pinot Noir, Red Moscato or White Zinfandel.
Picnics in the backyard can be a bit more elaborate.
I usually do the grilling.
Steaks sizzling on the grill.
Friends and family bring the sides, salads and desserts to round out the meal. Potluck picnics are my favorite kind of picnic. I love the surprise dishes everyone brings.
It’s so much fun to sample different foods. Especially the desserts!
As much as I love to entertain, it’s fun to take turns with friends.
When it’s my turn to bring the side dish I want to keep it simple.
Lemon Chicken Penne Salad makes a tasty main or side dish. Tender chunks of lemon pepper seasoned chicken and penne tossed in lemony vinaigrette.
It’s nice twist on mayo laden macaroni salad. I added some slivers of red bell peppers and kale.
Lemon Chicken Penne Salad travels well.
Whenever I bring a composed salad to a picnic I like to set out several small serving dishes. Dividing the salad this way helps keep all the chicken from sinking to the bottom of the bowl.
I never seem have any leftover. That’s why I save a small dish for me before I leave!
Of course I bring along some mini bottles of Gallo to go with this delicious salad.
Pinot Grigio pairs well with poultry or pasta. This medium-bodied, fairly acidic white goes great with other acidic dishes containing lemon or tomatoes.
You can learn more about Gallo Pinot Grigio here on their website.
If a Rosé is more to your liking, Gallo White Zinfandel is a great choice for pairing with this salad. Gallo White Zinfandel is a versatile wine that pairs equally well with poultry or seafood as it does with dessert.
You can learn more about Gallo White Zinfandel here on their website.
- 2 4-ounce chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 cups cooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with lemon pepper and salt. Grill or pan fry until temperature reaches 160 and juices run clear. Rest 5 minutes. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Combine chicken, pasta, red peppers and kale. Toss with dressing.
No matter if you’re planning a quiet picnic lunch for two or a backyard bash for 20, Gallo mini bottles are a perfect choice.
Take a look at Gallo Family Vineyards blog post to keep the picnic going all summer long!
Visit http://www.gallofamily.com/ website for more information on all their wines, pairings, recipes and more!
Enjoy these Sunday Supper recipes and Gallo Family Vineyards wine pairings at your next picnic!
- 10 Deviled Egg Variations by Sunday Supper Movement
- Thai Spiced Chicken Meatballs with Peanut Sauce by Soni’s Food
Picnic Main Dishes:
- Baked or Grilled Tandoori Chicken Legs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- BBQ Pulled Pork Picnic Sandwiches by Family Foodie
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Sandwiches by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- French Ham and Butter Sandwich (Jambon Buerre) by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Honey Chicken Kabobs by Life Tastes Good
- Italian Hoagie Style Pressed Picnic Sandwiches by Feed Me, Seymour
- Kimbap (Korean ‘Sushi’) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Picnic Sandwich Torte by Palatable Pastime
Picnic Salads and Sides:
- BLT Panzanella Salad by Casa de Crews
- Cold Chinese Peanut Noodles by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Lemon Chicken Penne Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Mason Jar Salmon Nicoise Salad by Simply Healthy Family
Picnic Sweets and Desserts:
- Banana Pudding Cups by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blueberry Crumb Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Blueberry Peach Snack Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Key Lime Cheesecake Crumb Bars by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Lemon Meringue Pie in a Jar by Desserts Required
- Simple Strawberry Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Southern Fried Apricot Hand Pies by Magnolia Days
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.