Say,”Cheese please!” This week Sunday Supper spotlights all things cheesy. No, not cheap, unpleasant, or blatantly inauthentic (thank you Merriam-Webster) but glorious, tasty, everything-tastes-better-with cheese.
Thank you Angie from http://www.bigbearswife.com/ for hosting this event.
One cheese dish that came to mind was from back in my deli days. Breakfast specialties were omelettes of all kinds sizzling in the pans. Sunday’s brought leisurely diners stopping by after church to eat together. Regulars of all religons patronized the little deli but one omelet stood out as a customer favorite. We only made this on Sundays using the freshest smoked salmon my boss could find. I’d slice it paper thin, almost see-through for lox and cream cheese bagels, and of course for our Sunday Special Lox and Onion Omelette with Cream Cheese.
This isn’t as much a recipe as it is flavor combination. I used Nova lox smoked salmon, which is less saltly and lighter cured than traditional smoked salmon we used to call, “belly salmon”. Any New Yorkers in the audience that can help a PA girl out by letting me know if its still Nova verses Belly wars out there?
You can make these omelettes any size you wish. For a mini omelette I used one egg whisked with a little milk.
- Ingredients per omelette
- 1 egg whisked with a little milk (about a teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon chopped lox
- 1 teaspoon chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cream cheese
- capers, optional
Spray a small skillet with cooking spray.
Saute onion, lox and tomatoes for about 1 minute over medium-high heat.
Add egg and cook until almost set, add cream cheese and cook until set.
Fold over and top with capers. Serve with bagels with lox spread if desired.
Join us this week as The Sunday Supper Group celebrates cheese from savory to sweet. Smile and say, “Cheese please!”
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- ■1 egg whisked with a little milk (about a teaspoon)
- ■1 teaspoon chopped lox
- ■1 teaspoon chopped red onion
- ■1 teaspoon chopped tomatoes
- ■1 teaspoon cream cheese
- ■capers, optional
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray.
- Saute onion, lox and tomatoes for about 1 minute over medium-high heat.
- Add egg and cook until almost set, add cream cheese and cook until set.
- Fold over and top with capers. Serve with bagels with lox spread if desired.