Spring means muddy season around here. The ground thaws out. Snow melts. Creeks rise. So why not make Mud Pies?
Moist, dark, clumps packed into individual pie shells. You know, getting back to nature.
I love getting dirty. Prepping the garden. Digging my hands in the soil and squishing it through my fingers.
It kind of like cooking. Now wait, hear me out.
I cook by feel as much as sight, smell, sound and taste. Listen for the sizzle or flop of dough on the hook. Potatoes squeak when roasted. Have you ever ran to the stove because you heard a pot boil over?
Dough needs (no pun intended) to reach a certain texture. You knead it until it feels right.
Meatloaf gets mixed by hand. Its ready when it holds together but still feels moist.
I was stumped when the April Fool’s Day Sunday Supper theme was announced. Then I looked outside. It just rained and there was mud everywhere.
If you haven’t already guessed it, this muddy mess is really tasty cake, pudding and chocolate cookie crumbs.
Its more a method than a recipe. Fun dessert or treat!
First, take a 9-inch pie crust, homemade or purchased and cut it into 4 pieces. Press each piece into a large muffin tin cup. Don’t worry, it doesn’t need to be perfect, its mud pie!
Bake for about 9 minutes at 350, no grease until almost baked. Remove and set aside. Residual heat should finish the baking. If not, return to the oven. Let completely cool before removing from tin.
Remove the cream filling. Crumble the cookies. What you do with the creamy centers is your business. 😉
Fill with cake, pudding and cookie mix. Decorate with cookie crumbs.
- 2 9-inch pie crusts
- 1 8-inch chocolate cake (one layer)
- 1 cup chocolate pudding
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies plus 2 for garnish (I used Oreos) cream removed and crushed
- Cut the crusts into 4 pieces each. Press each piece into a large muffin tin cup. Prick with a fork. Bake at 450 for about 9 minutes or until almost done. Remove and place pan on rack. Dough should finish cooking outside oven. Return to oven if needed. Cool completely before removing.
- Mix together cake crumbs, pudding and cookie crumbs.
- Fill pie shells. Garnish with additional crumbs. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Thanks T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley for hosting this fun event!
April 1st is just around the corner. Get ready with these Foolproof Recipes from Sunday Supper!
- Pina Colada Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beer Jelly by Brunch with Joy
- Berry Smoothie Incognito by Lifestyle Food Aristry
- Mashed Potato Sundaes by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Roasted Broccoli Dip by Cooking Chat
- Honey Nut Baked Brie Bloomin’ Apple by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Sides & Snacks
- Shepherd’s Trifle by The Joyful Foodie
- Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Meatloaf “Cupcakes” with Mashed Potato “Frosting” by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- April Fools’ Strawberry Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo & Peas by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Pad Thai with Zoodles by Nosh My Way
- Middle Eastern Roast Chicken with Green Harissa by The Texan New Yorker
- Beef Avocado and Tomato Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Fake-out Sliders and Fries by The Redhead Baker
- Pot Luck Chili Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Fool by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon and “Egg” Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Poutine by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Cauliflower Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Fudgy Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fruit Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Mud Pies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Joker Cakes by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.