Welcome to this week’s Sunday Supper Meatless Meals Event! I make a lot of meatless meals year round just just because we like them. Cutting back on meat was something I wasn’t use to growing up. We had to have meat with every meal. It wasn’t dinner without a beef roast, fried chicken, pork chops or sausage on the plate. Once in a while we’d get those frozen cod or halibut planks too.
Except for potato soup, (which often had leftover ham or bacon)I don’t recall any real meatless meals.
As an adult I eat what I want for the most part. I still enjoy those beef roasts with gravy and a breaded pork chop once in a while. But for today I’m sticking with Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup.
I used hearty portabellas, wild rice, a quick cook rice blend of white, red and brown rice, greens and vegetable broth.
Those simmering mushrooms are calling my name!
I couldn’t hold the camera still. I wanted a spoonful of mushroom and wild rice soup asap!
Easy. Tasty. Quick.
Thank you Tammi from Momma’s Meals for hosting this Meatless Meals Event!
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup rice (regular long grain or blend)
- ¼ cup instant wild rice
- 1 cup sliced portabella mushrooms
- ½ cup firmly packed greens (I used baby spinach and arugula)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping, optional
- Bring 1½ cups broth to a boil. Add rice and wild rice. Cover and simmer until tender.
- Add mushrooms with remaining broth to a medium saucepan. Gently cook until mushrooms are almost done.
- Add rice and green and heat thoroughly, wilting greens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Here are more great Meatless Meal ideas from our Sunday Supper Group!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Broccoli Mushroom Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.