This week’s Sunday Supper is about all things citrus in celebration of National Oranges and Lemons Day. Jen from Juanita’s Cocina is our hostess this week and what great job she did putting this event together!
I cook often with citrus. A squirt of fresh lemon or orange brighten everything from soups to salad dressings. I also love fruit and meat together so it was tough to choose a recipe.
My Mom loved citrus and even planted lemon, orange and grapefruit seeds she saved from store bought fruit, into 5 gallon buckets. The seeds produced trees and lived for several years indoors but never produced fruit. I’d crush the leaves in my palm and sniff the wonderful scent.
There are lots of plants that mimic lemon but there is nothing like the real thing. As much as I love lemon chicken and will share my recipe sometime in the near future, today belongs to the oranges. Orange chicken to be specific.
Oranges add the right acidity to chicken. Brown mustard and horseradish balance out the sweetness of the canned oranges and syrup. A touch of red pepper and garlic and you have a killer, well-balanced chicken dish.
Thank you for taking time out of your busy holiday schedule to visit with us at Sunday Supper. Enjoy! Happy Easter and Passover everyone!
- 2 4-ounce chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 11-ounce can Mandarin Orange segments in light syrup, drain reserve juice
- 1Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
Season both sides of chicken with garlic, salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown both sides of chicken in oil.
Spread top side of breasts with 1 Tablespoon mustard and sprinkle with pepper flakes. Add oranges and 1/4 cup syrup. Cover and simmer until chicken is thoroughly cooked and oranges and syrup reduce.
While chicken cooks, make sauce combine orange juice, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon mustard and horseradish in a 1-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat and simmer until thick.
Place chicken on plate. Top with glaze then sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and orange zest.
Check out this week’s spectacular menu from our family of Sunday Supper contributors!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter today to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.