Summer is just around the corner and picnic season is officially here. Our Sunday Supper group is throwing a picnic and you all are invited!
Our host this week is Katy from Happy Baking Days . Thanks Katy!
I chose a traditional PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage to bring to our picnic. You can make this fast and easy make-ahead Pepper Cabbage with just a few simple ingredients. The sweet-sour combo is so refreshing on a hot day! This side dish holds up well at picnics since it has no dairy items to worry about. Mix it up a little with red, green or yellow peppers!
PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced peppers, red or green
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add all the vegetables together in a large bowl, stir to mix.
Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mix vegetables and dressing together. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
Stir to recoat all the vegetables. Remove salad to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon; reserve the dressing to use to refresh salad or for serving on the side.
Are you planning a picnic this Memorial Day weekend? Check out these cool picnic ideas from our Sunday Supper Contributors.
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Caprese Spinach Salad from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Bratwurst and Onion Open-Face Sandwiches from The Urban Mrs
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
Don’t forget to join the #SundaySupper chat on Twitter Sunday for more picnic ideas and please share yours with us! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share our delicious recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
Are you coming to the Food and Wine Conference held July 19-21 in Orlando, Florida? Register Here .
- ■4 cups cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- ■1/2 cup diced peppers, red or green
- ■1/2 cup celery, diced
- ■1/2 cup sugar
- ■3/4 cup white vinegar
- ■Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all the vegetables together in a large bowl, stir to mix.
- Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix vegetables and dressing together. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Stir to recoat all the vegetables. Remove salad to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon; reserve the dressing to use to refresh salad or for serving on the side.