This week Sunday Supper takes a trip to the tropics! We’re bringing you over 40 recipes to inspire you get your tropical menu on!
When I think of tropical foods, I imagine lounging on a beach, eating native cuisine. I’d be sipping exotic drinks and dancing to island music.
There would be seafood aplenty. Smells of pineapple and coconut mixing with warm spices drift on gentle breezes.
Shrimp beckoned me this week. So why not a shrimp salad? A little smoky-sweetness goes far with shrimp.
Avocados are grown all over the tropics. These fruits add creaminess to salads and dressings. High in fiber, healthy fat, potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B-6, and magnesium.
Why sunflower seeds? Sunflower seeds have all the nutrition of avocados plus added protein! Oh yes, the crunch factor, too.
This shrimp salad takes gently steamed shrimp and tosses it with smoked sun-dried tomatoes (my new favorite), shallots, toasted sunflower seeds and avocado.
I added ranch dressing to this combo so I wouldn’t get too homesick! Serve it up on a bed of arugula for a terrific main dish or side salad.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 cup chopped smoked sun-dried tomatoes or regular sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup avocado chopped, divided plus some avocado to garnish
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing (homemade or purchased)
- lemon juice
- 1 (5 ounce) package baby arugula.
- Steam shrimp until opaque and thoroughly cooked. Chill.
- Dip avocado pieces in lemon juice to prevent browning. Mash 1/4 cup avocado. Add to dressing. set aside.
- Mix chilled shrimp. tomatoes, shallots, sunflower seeds and 1/4 cup avocado pieces together. Toss with dressing.
- Arrange salad on bed of arugula. Garnish with avocado slices.
You can substitute regular sun-dried tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika in place of smoked sun-dried tomatoes.
Thank you, Marlene from Nosh My Way for hosting this trip to Paradise event!
Get a taste of the tropics with these wonderful tropical inspired recipes from the Sunday Supper Group!
Tidbits and Pupus
- Chicken and Lemongrass Sugarcane Skewers by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Coconut crusted Tofu with Spicy Mango Cucumber Topping by Soni’s Food
- Larp (Laos chicken salad) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Midwest Style Loco Moco by Our Good Life
- Tropical Sunrise Fruit Salad with Coconut Chia Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Caribbean Black Beans with Rice by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Condiments and Sauces
- Cilantro Margarita by An Appealing Plan
- Coconut Mojito by Flour On My Face
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Lava Flow by Nosh My Way
- Bali Spicy Grilled Fish – Ikan Bakar Jimbaran by Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Hawaiian Pulled Pork by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Grilled Jerk Shrimp Roll with Tropical Fruit Slaw by Food Done Light
- Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Kalua Pig by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Barbecued Pork Chops by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mango Lime Fajitas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pineapple Pork by Basic N Delicious
- Pineapple, Prosciutto and Arugula Pizza by Family Foodie
- Catibias o Cativias (Dominican Yucca Empanadas) by The Petit Gourmet
- Shrimp Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork Tacos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tropical Chicken Burgers by Momma’s Meals
- Whole Roasted Bream with a Ginger-Tamarind Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Seven Layer Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Sunshine Cake by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Double Ginger Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Majarete Ice Cream by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mini Mango Cheesecakes by The Freshman Cook
- Pineapple Blueberry Ooey Gooey Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin-Coconut Biscotti by What Smells So Good?
- Tropical Fruit Salad by The Redhead Baker
- Tropical Layered Poke Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Ube Panna Cotta by The Joyful Foodie
- Whole Wheat Mango Coconut Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Tropical Foods Sunday Supper
- The Best Wines to Pair with Tropical Food #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.