Salads and steak go so well together. Steaks like a 1/2-inch sirloin take about 7 to 11 minutes to grill, and 8 to 15 minutes to broil or pan fry.
Here are a few tips from The Beef Checkoff on grilling beef:
- Marinate tender cuts 15 minutes to 2 hours, less tender cuts like flank steaks 6 hours but less than 24 hours.
- Grill meat taken directly from the refrigerator. You do not need to bring a steak to room temperature.
- Season with pepper and herbs only. Cook over medium heat, turning as needed with tongs, careful not to pierce meat.
- Remember to wait to salt until after the steak is cooked. This practice helps keep the natural juices inside.
Use a meat thermometer to test for desired doneness 140 rare, 145 medium rare, 160 medium. Keep a close eye on the meat when it reaches 140 until it registers your desired temperature.
Remember after resting your steak for about 3 minutes, cut on the bias and against the grain to keep it tender.
A 3 ounce serving of lean beef (150 calories and less than 4.5 grams saturated fat on average) helps power your day with Beef’s “Big 10″:
- Iron helps your body use oxygen.
- Choline supports nervous system development.
- Protein helps preserve and build muscle.
- Selenium helps protect cells from damage.
- Vitamins B6 and B12 help maintain brain function.
- Zinc helps maintain a healthy immune system.
- Phosphorus helps build bones and teeth.
- Niacin supports energy production and metabolism.
- Riboflavin helps covert food into fuel.
Follow the Beef Let’s Celebrate! Pinterest Board for a variety of ways to serve and tips on preparing beef.
Connect and stay in touch with The Beef Checkoff through their social media sites:
- 1 lb sirloin steak
- 1 large tomato. thinly sliced
- ½ lb ball of fresh Mozzarella, sliced
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- olive oil for drizzle
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup favorite marinade, optional
- Place balsamic vinegar in a 1 quart saucepan and simmer over medium heat, stirring often until reduced by about ⅔ (about 15 minutes)
- While vinegar simmers, heat grill to medium heat. Season steak with pepper and grill to desired doneness. Add salt as desired. Transfer to board to rest.
- While steak rests, arrange lettuce, tomatoes and cheese slices.
- Cut steak into strips and arrange on the plate.
- Drizzle with oil then top with balsamic reduction.
Enjoy all these great beef dinner ideas for your Weekday Supper menu!
Monday – Slow Cooker Asian Beef by Family Foodie
Tuesday – Grilled Flank Steak Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms by Neighborfood
Wednesday – Steak Caprese Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Thursday – Smothered Hamburger Steak by In The Kitchen With KP
Friday – Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff. All opinions are my own.