#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here.
Links are also updated after each event on the BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla has chosen breads from around the world that are traditional for Easter, Passover or Springtime.
Spring means Strawberry Season around here. We have several pick your own farms in the area to take advantage of the bounty. Most strawberry patches mature towards late spring. That gives me plenty of time to experiment with store bought berries.
Fritters are fried batter desserts similar to doughnuts. They also make great breakfast treats. Fritters are popular with my PA Dutch heritage. Usually fritters are made with with seasonal fruit and dipped in glaze like their doughnut cousins. Apple and blueberry are area favorites. I chose strawberries instead for my deep-fried indulgence. A quick drizzle of confectioner’s sugar and water icing is all they need.
Arrange on a platter and drizzle with confectioner’s glaze.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons water or milk
- Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs and beat until fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternate adding a bit of flour mixture with adding milk.
- Stir in strawberries.
- Fry at 365 degrees, about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove and to drain off excess grease place fritters on paper towels.
- Mix together powdered sugar and water as needed to get drizzle consistency. Drizzle over fritters.
Here’s our International Easter/Passover/Spring Bread Basket, in alphabetical order…
- Bacci Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Casatiello by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Choereg – Armenian Easter Bread by Chef Mireille’s East West Realm
- Colomba Pasquale (Easter Dove Bread) by Cook’s Hideout
- Cornish Saffron Easter Bread by Pastry Chef Online
- Folar (Portuguese Easter Bread) by Passion Kneaded
- Hot Cross Buns by En la Cocina de Caro
- Hornazo De Salamanca – Spanish Easter Bread by Ruchik Randhap
- Hungarian Egg Twist by Hostess at Heart
- Hungarian White Bread by Magnolia Days
- Individual Braided Easter Bread by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Italian Easter Bread by La Cocina de Aisha
- Lambropsomo – Greek Easter Bread by Spice Roots
- Lithuanian Easter Raisin Bread by My Catholic Kitchen
- Matzo by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Mennonite Paska by Food Lust People Love
- Pääsiäisleipä – Finnish Easter Bread by Bakers and Best
- Pane di Pasqua – Italian Easter Bread Wreath by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Polish Bobka Easter Bread by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Russian Kulich by That’s My Home
- Springtime Sweet Bread by Cooking club
- Strawberry Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tsoureki (Greek Easter Bread) by Simply Veggies
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at email@example.com.