This week’s #SundaySupper features cool recipes ideas to get you out of the kitchen and #beattheheat!
I was privilaged to work in a family owned deli for 13 years. The thing is, the same family didn’t own it the entire 13 years! In reality, over the years there were 6 different families: 1 Jewish, 1 Irish, 3 German and one Greek! Talk about culture shock! I learned a wealth of techniques, recipes and traditions all in one place. I was truly blessed!
When we first opened we carried a line of popular fishes; Nova and belly lox, kippered salmon, herring, sable, carp and smoked whitefish, which was usually sturgeon. Whitefish salad was a popular item to put on our freshly baked bagels (yes, I learned how to make those too). Nothing tastes quite like it, salty and smoky, mild yet bold.
That was where I learned to clean fish too! Wow 30 years later I still remember!
Smoked fish is part of so many cultures. If you have never had it, try it sometime!
I replaced the traditional mayo with sour cream, although the sour cream version has been around a long time!
Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites
Smoked whitefish is a great change from tuna or salmon salad. Check your deli department for flaked whitefish, a great time saver!
3 cups smoked whitefish, flaked
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp dill weed
12 each bagel, mini
1. Add whitefish, celery and scallions to a medium-size bowl. Mix.
2. In a separate bowl, mix sour cream, lemon juice and dill.
3. Add dressing to fish mixture and fold in. Serve on a bagel or a salad plate.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Nutrition (per serving): 124 calories, 27 calories from fat, 3.1g total fat, 15.4mg cholesterol, 359.3mg sodium, 172.2mg potassium, 15.2g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 1.6g sugar, 8.7g protein, 176.6IU vitamin a, 1.8mg vitamin c.
Recipe Type: Salad, Sandwich, Sandwiches and Hors d’Oeuvres, Seafood
Smoked fish tends to be very salty, adjust lemon, dill or sour cream to help balance the salt.
Check out these great ideas to #BeatTheHeat from #SundaySupper this week!
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Rice Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ
Make sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday, and at 3:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper Twitter chat! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and we’ll be talking all things #BeatTheHeat during our chat!
We’d also love to feature your recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!
We’ll all see you on Sunday for #BeatTheHeat #SundaySupper!