Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup with chunks of potatoes and kale. A hearty, delicious ♥ heart-healthy ♥ soup! One bowl is not enough!
I have a secret that makes this heart-healthy soup, souper special.
I didn’t use turkey breast or thighs. I said beat it to turkey drums,too.
You guessed it. I made this soup with turkey wings.
Wing meat has the taste of white meat and the moist, tender texture of dark meat. Turkey wings also make full-bodied stock and can be quite economical too.
Black-Eyed Peas, also known as cowpeas, are actually beans. Like all beans, dried cowpeas swell when cooked. In some cultures, people eat these beans on New Year’s Day hoping to bring wealth and prosperity to the household.
I eat them because they’re delicious and good for you.
Black Eyed-peas are loaded with vitamins and nutrients.
These beans are a great source of Potassium, Dietary fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Calcium, and Magnesium.
Kale is no slouch either. 😉
This leafy green is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron.
Thanks to Ethel of Eating in Instead and Lori of Foxes Love Lemons for hosting this event!
Okay everybody, soup is on!
- 2 turkey wings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups potatoes, ½-inch diameter
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 14.5 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place wings in a 6-quart pot. Cover wings with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add celery, onion and broth.
- Simmer until wings are thoroughly cooked. Remove to cool before removing meat.
- Add kale and return to a simmer. Cook 10 to 15 minutes until kale starts to soften.
- add potatoes and cook until potatoes are almost done but still a bit hard.
- Add beans and turkey meat and return to a simmer until potatoes are cooked and turkey soup is thoroughly heated.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy more heart healthy recipes from the Sunday Supper Group!
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Have Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.