Back to School excitement fills the Sunday Supper air today! The promises of new friends, different teachers, new lunchboxes and math books (well maybe not math books) have the kid in us all a flutter!
What was your favorite thing about going back to school?
I loved getting new shoes! My Mom always bought my shoes a half size too big to last the whole school year. Sneakers were just for gym class!
“Crack and crinkle!” The sound of new books opening for the first time was also exciting to me. Of course new pencils, book covers (remember those?).
Did you pack lunch? Brown-bag-it or trendy lunchbox?
Grade school where I grew up was strictly pack from home. A nickel got you a carton of ice cold white milk. No chocolate milk for sale in that school!
If you had a lunchbox you probably carried a Thermos. Be careful not to drop your thermos! Those linings were made of glass back then.
Another great part of school was after school snacks of course! Fruit, celery and carrot sticks and an occasional Oreo or two.
Nowadays quick meals fit into the equation. After school football practice, band, chorus and more eat into precious dinner time.
The last thing busy families need is a struggle over kids eating dinner.
Children love brightly colored food. Turmeric Chicken and Couscous offers yellow crusted chicken over Parmesan couscous. Chickpeas add fun, tasty balls tossed around the plate. These beans provide extra protein for busy little bodies.
A bit of apple juice concentrate naturally sweetens the meal.
- 2 8-ounce chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1 cup dry couscous
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Mix together turmeric, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add chicken to pan turn to coat with oil. Sprinkle both sides with seasonings.
- Brown on first side about 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 160. Remove and rest on a plate.
- Add apple juice concentrate to pan. Mix juice with remaining broth. add a bit of water if necessary to make broth. Scrape pan. Reduce to 1/2 to use as sauce.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil
- Remove from heat add couscous. Cover and let set for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Add chickpeas and Parmesan cheese
- Slice chicken and arrange on top of couscous. Drizzle with pan sauces.
Enjoy these great Back to School Ideas from Sunday Supper!
Getting Started On School Days
- Banana and Chocolate Chip Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Caramel Apple Granola by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Coconut Granola Bars by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cinnamon Chocolate Overnight Oats by Whole Food | Real Families
- Funfetti French Toast by Brunch with Joy
- PB&J Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Ideas for the Lunchbox
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich by Cooking Chat
- Healthy Lunchbox Snack Mix by Noshing with the Nolands
- Mini Pepperoni Calzones by The Redhead Baker
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Wrap by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
After School Snacks and Beverages
- Back to School Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Fruit ‘n Chocolate Peanut Butter Granola Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- Quinoa, Oat and Pecan Blueberry-Peach Crumb Bars by Simply Healthy Family
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits by An Appealing Plan
- Mother’s Ruin Punch by Food Lust People Love
- “Nut Butter” Rice Crispy Balls by Books n’ Cooks
- Parmesan Crisps Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Monkey Bread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Apple Nachos by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Pizzas by Our Good Life
School Night Suppers
- Beef Peppers and Onions Burritos by Family Foodie
- One Pot Bacon-Cheeseburger Pasta by A Gouda Life
- Oven Fried Portabello Mushroom Fries by Food Done Light
- Peanut Chicken Cutlets by Magnolia Days
- Smoked Salmon Ravioli with Cream Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Turmeric Chicken and Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Sweets to End the Day
- Gluten-Free Almond Joy Cupcakes by NinjaBaker
- M&M Chocolate Chunk Cookies by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Oreo Rice Krispy Treats by The Crumby Cupcake
- Paleo Cherry Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Plum Crumble Bars by Feeding Big
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.