I love fruit and oatmeal together. How about you? Can I interest you in a slice of Blueberry Currant Oatmeal Bread?
Why put dried wild blueberries and currants in an oatmeal lovers bread?
Because it’s time for this month’s Bread Bakers!
July Bread Bakers Challenge: Your bread can be sweet or savory but it’s got to have oats! Oats of any kind: rolled, flour, steel cut, quick cooking, etc.
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
This month our wonderful Bread Bakers host for Our Oatmeal Event is Rocio from Kids and Chic ! Thanks Rocio!
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org
Blueberry Currant Oatmeal Bread is full of all the good stuff. This quick bread is high in antioxidants, soluble fiber and iron. moist, and cake-like.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/4 cup 2 % milk plus 1/2 cup to reconstitute berries
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup wild dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Soak fruit in 1/2 cup milk for at least an hour. Drain and reserve milk for drinking.
- Whisk together flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups milk, almond extract and cooled melted butter.
- Blend wet ingredients into dry mixture to form a batter.
- Gently fold in berries.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch loaf pan. Add batter and sprinkle with oats if desired.
- Bake at 350 on center rack of oven for 50 to 60 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool bread a few minutes in pan on a rack before removing bread finish cooling on rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Enjoy all these delicious oat-based breads from the Bread Bakers!
- Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
- Applesauce Oatmeal Bread from Hostess at Heart
- Banana Oatmeal Loaf from Basic N Delicious
- Blueberry Currant Oatmeal Bread from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Honey Oatmeal Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Honey-Oatmeal Muffins from A Baker’s House
- Honey Oats Bread Loaf from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Honey Nut Oatmeal Waffles from Magnolia Days
- Honey Wheat Oat Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Irish Oat and Whole Wheat Bread from Cali’s Cuisine
- Lemon Blueberry Oat Bread from Kids & Chic
- Multigrain Twist Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Oat Breadsticks from Passion Kneaded
- Oatmeal and Whole Wheat Rolls from Sneha’s Recipe
- Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread from Ruchik Randhap
- Oatmeal Porridge Sandwich Loaf from Bakers and Best
- Oatmeal Stout Loaf from Food Lust People Love
- Oat & Honey Bread from La Cocina de Aisha
- Oats and Millet Idli from Spice Roots
- Oats Garlic Kulcha from SimplyVeggies
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Oatmeal Scones from G’Gina’s Kitchenette
- Rolled Oat Sourdough Boule from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Savory Oats Scones from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Triple Seeded Oat Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Whole Wheat Honey Oatmeal Bread from Spill the Spices