Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Dark Cherry Chocolate Cheese Danish. Light, flaky puff pastry cradling a layer of chocolate cream cheese topped with sweet, dark cherries. A drizzle of cherry flavored icing completes this festive holiday dessert.
What could make this even more special?
Pairing these rich flavors with Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato and White Zinfandel.
This week Sunday Supper and Gallo Family Vineyards team up to share our choices for pairing Gallo Wines with some of our favorite dishes for the Holidays.
Holiday season starts here with breaking out the traditional recipes we associate with yearly gatherings.
Cookies are a must from Thanksgiving right through New Year’s Day. Recipes for kiffels, roll outs, gingerbread men, thumbprints and more surface and beg to be baked. At home I’ll keep a plateful handy for picking at while we decorate and wrap presents.
The Holidays involve many get-togethers too. From office parties to family brunches there’s something for everyone.
We often do a potluck at work. It’s fun to sample all the different dishes. I’ll usually take along a main meal. A hot crockpot dish like a hearty pork barbecue or sweet and sour meatballs says, “Relax, enjoy and celebrate the season.”
Throughout December, friends invite us over for everything from elaborate appetizer parties to cozy couples nights.
For these outings I usually bring dessert. My friends expect me to bring something new to the table. If you know me, you know I hate to disappoint.
These Dark Cherry Chocolate Cheese Danish are really simple to make but look so elegant. You can show these light pastries off at a casual event, yet elegant enough for that dressy New Year’s Eve party.
Of course I’ll take along a bottle of Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato and one of Gallo White Zinfandel for our hosts to enjoy.
Gallo Family Vineyards Red Moscato is my favorite wine to enjoy with desserts. Red Moscato pairs so well with the bold flavors of dark cherries and rich chocolate in these danish. This refreshing, sweet medium-bodied wine is best-enjoyed chilled. Red Moscato also pairs with light cheeses and adds a nice balance to spicy cuisine.
If you enjoy your wine a little less sweet with desserts, try Gallo Family Vineyards White Zinfandel Pair Gallo Family Vineyards medium-bodied White Zinfandel with a wide range of foods from Thanksgiving turkey to chicken salad and even peach cobbler.
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup pitted dark cherries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Bring sugar and water to a boil over low-medium heat whisking constantly to dissolve sugar and thicken. When syrup forms, remove from heat and add cherries. set aside.
- Cream together cheese and chocolate syrup.
- Cut puff pastry into 9 pieces. Place pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet pan.
- Spread each piece with chocolate cheese filling. Top with a few cherries and syrup.
- Fold into a triangle and pinch shut.
- Bake at 400 degrees until brown and flaky, about 12 to 15 minutes. Move danish around a bit halfway through to prevent the bottom from being soggy.
- While danish bakes, prepare glaze. Mix together powdered sugar and about 2 tablespoons of the cherry syrup until desired consistency is reached. set aside.
- Place danish on rack to cool. Drizzle with cherry glaze.
This is the season of giving and Gallo Family Vineyards has a wonderful way we can all give back to our communities. It’s called Gallo Family Vineyard Every Cork Counts™ Program.
I’ve participated in this program for the past few years.
Here is more about the Gallo Family Vineyard Every Cork Counts™ Program:
“Our family is committed to helping Meals on Wheels America to improve the health and quality of life for the seniors they serve. For the sixth year in a row, Gallo Family Vineyards invites Americans to help end senior hunger and isolation with our annual Every Cork Counts™ program. We’re donating $1 for every cork submitted through our website or snail mail. All Gallo Family fans have to do is snap a picture, or send their corks!”
Follow the Recipes Paired with Wine Pinterest Board for more Sunday Supper Family sharing of their favorite recipes paired with Gallo Family Vineyards wine.
Stop by Gallo Family Vineyards Wine Blog for more Pairing Seasonal Wines for the Holidays and the stories behind our favorite wine and food pairings.
Gallo has a handy Store Locator to find your favorite Gallo wine in your area.
Enjoy these recipes, stories and ideas for Pairing Seasonal Wines for the Holidays from Sunday Supper.
- Bacon Pineapple Jalapeño Cheese Ball from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Baked Brie with Cranberries & Almonds from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Best Bar Nuts from Shockingly Delicious
- Lamb Seekh Kebabs from Soni’s Food
- Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites from Magnolia Days
- Roasted Garlic Onion Dip from Food Done Light
- Roasted Cranberry Crostini from Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco with Salsa Verde from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Shrimp and Roasted Pepper Cheese Crostini from Fearless Dining
- Italian Hoagie Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roast Duck with Mole Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
- Seafood Cannelloni from Palatable Pastime
Desserts and Sweets:
- Caramel Bread Pudding from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chocolate Cups Filled with Cinnamon Pastry Cream and Berries from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Bites from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse from Life Tastes Good
- Cranberry Orange Walnut Truffles from Desserts Required
- Cranberry Panna Cotta from The Freshman Cook
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Orange Scented Whipped Cream from Recipe for Perfection
- Dark Cherry Chocolate Cheese Danish from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Plus don’t miss the Seasonal Wine Pairing Tips by Sunday Supper Movement.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.