This week Sunday Supper explores the many styles of Asian cuisine. I admit that I’m not adventurous when it comes to trying different takes on this popular cultural avenue for cooking but I’m open to suggestions. I lean towards foods that are not spicy from heat. Sushi hasn’t won me over either. So I usually ask others for their opinion first on a meal!
Despite my shyness many Asian sauces worked their way into my heart and onto my table. Take hoisin sauce for example.
Hoisin sauce makes a great addition to ground meat dishes. I took my Asian Style Meatloaf recipe and made burgers. Juicy tender burgers at that.
Top those burgers with a bit of slaw with peanut dressing.
Get ready for a taste explosion in your mouth! Sweet and salty, crunchy cabbage slaw laced with celery, red peppers, carrots and green onion. Toss the whole thing in a peanut butter and rice vinegar based dressing.
You won’t believe the incredible smell coming off these burgers. Sizzling ground pork and turkey mixing with peanut and bbq scents. Don’t forget warm peanut butter undertones!
If you’re not big on bread you can eat the slaw on the side.
I preferred a soft whole wheat roll with all the goodies stuffed inside!
Sorry there aren’t more pictures. I couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into Hoisin Burgers with Peanut Slaw! You’ll see why when you try it.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Asian BBQ sauce (recipe below)
- 4 Tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup or Sriracha hot sauce
- 4 whole wheat rolls
- 4 cups shredded Napa or savory cabbage or combination
- 1/2 cup celery sliced thin
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper sliced thin
- 2 Tablespoons shredded carrots
- 2 Tablespoons green onion sliced thin
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together hoisin sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and ketchup. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together pork, turkey, bread crumbs, and onion. Add sauce.
- Form into 4 patties. Spray a non-stick pan and fry burgers over medium-high heat to brown.
- Cover and simmer until thoroughly cooked.
- Mix together peanut butter, vinegar, honey, oil, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl combine cabbage, celery, peppers, onion and carrots. Add dressing.
- Serve on Rolls and extra slaw on the side.
Thank you Amy of kimchi MOM for hosting today’s delicious event!
Enjoy all these wonderful Asian inspired dishes from the Sunday Supper Group!
- Lumpia, Baked Filipino Eggroll by Food Done Light
- Crab Ragoon by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Fried Rice by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Sushi by The Freshman Cook
- Mango Pudding by Brunch with Joy
- Shrimp Rangoon Egg Rolls with Honey-Soy Dipping Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Thai Style Sliders by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Venison Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Asam Laksa by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bacon Miso Ramen by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bok Choy Gai See Tong (Bok Choy and Shredded Chicken Soup) by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pork Prawn Wonton Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Asian Beef and Green Bean Stir-Fry by Family Foodie
- Banh Mi Hot Dog by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Lo Mein by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cheese Korokke by Manu’s Menu
- Chicken Zoodle “Lo Mein” by Casa de Crews
- Easy Chow Mein by Momma’s Meals
- Ginger-Citrus Grilled Salmon by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Pork Báhn Mì by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken by Cooking Chat
- Hoisin Burgers with Peanut Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ojingeo Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Stir-fried Squid) by kimchi MOM
- Oven Simmered Asian BBQ Chicken by What Smells So Good?
- Pad Thai by Curious Cuisiniere
- Seven Flavor Precious Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Sri Lankan Vegetable Curry by Panning The Globe
- Thai Chicken by Feeding Big
- Vietnamese Flank Steak by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
On the Lighter Side
- Copy Cat: CPK Thai Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Crispy Asian Noodle Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Nam Sod (Thai Pork Salad) by Magnolia Days
- Soba Noodle Salad by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Best Wines To Pair with Asian Cuisine by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Oodles of Noodles
- Asian Noodle Types and 34 Best Asian Recipes by SundaySupper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Itâ€™s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.