I’m already an okra fan. I like breaded and fried okra . Curried okra makes a great side dish and I especially like adding it to soup and stews.
I’m leaning more towards Mardi Gras than my traditional “Fat Tuesday” PA Dutch heritage of eating a potato doughnut also known here as fasnacht.
Fasnachts are a great way to clear the cupboards to get ready for Lent. The idea is to use all the rich, fatty foods you plan to give up before lent commences.
There is nothing fat about okra, but making it with a butter roux and tomato makes it Creole style. Add to that a mirepiox of celery, onion and green peppers-skip the carrots-and you are talking Louisiana creole.
By the way, I make a mean Monkfish Creole too!
Thanks go out to Leslie from La Cocina de Leslie for hosting this week!
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced green peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon creole seasoning
- 3 cups cooked rice
- In a small skillet, brown flour in butter until small bubbles form. Gradually add water whisking roux to form a thick paste. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute celery, onion and peppers until softened. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add tomato paste, roux, lemon juice, tomatoes, okra and seasoning. Simmer until okra is tender.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Come celebrate Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday with these recipes from the Sunday Supper Group!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes w/ Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug w/ Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.