Sausage and Peppers Salad combines that familiar great taste into a luscious salad. Grilled smoked beef sausage, crisp peppers, spinach and onion round out the meal. Drizzle with my mustard vinaigrette for a tangy topping!
Labor Day is just around the corner. For some it signifies the end of summer. No more lazy, hazy, crazy days! For others, it’s a sneak peek into cooler weather and all fall has to offer.
This week #SundaySupper is saluting Labor Day and all the workers that make this country great.
Labor Day Menu Ideas
Labor Day has been a national holiday since 1894 celebrating all the contributions and accomplishments of the workers who have built the United States. It’s also the last day of summer, so let’s get grilling, cooking, and baking to celebrate!
For me personally, Labor Day means back to work. We spend this week at our college welcoming new and returning students back to classes. For some it’s a big step. It can be there first time away from home. Maybe they never shared living quarters with strangers or experienced students from different cultures.
It’s our job to provide comfort and guidance for all types of diets and tastes.
Comfort from food it a big one. Especially on the prominently women’s campus.
All these reasons are why I’m breaking out the grill and grilling some smoked sausage for my sausage and peppers salad.
Sausage and Peppers is one of my most requested recipes. Coupled with fried potatoes, it’s pure comfort food.
Today I’m adding a twist to this idea. Smoked sausage slices, crisp peppers, red onions, baby spinach, and hemp seeds. Drizzled with mustard vinaigrette for a bit of tang.
- 1/2 lb smoked beef sausage
- 1 cup mixed bell pepper strips
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon hemp heart seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice sausage into thin pieces. Fry until browned and most of excess fat dissolves.
- Mix together peppers, onions, spinach and sausage.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in basil. Pour over pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds.
If sausage sticks, add a few drops of oil.
Thanks Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures for hosting this week!
Enjoy all these Labor Day Menu Ideas from Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
Scrumptious Labor Day Sides and Starters
- Foil Pack Grilled Potatoes by Hardly A Goddess
- Four Bean Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pasta Salad with Baby Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Sausage and Peppers Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shelly’s Pasta Salad by Soulfully Made
- Sour Cream and Onion Potatoes by Cricket’s Confections
- Thai Spiced Shrimp Cabbage Coleslaw by Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini Parmesan Foil Packets by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Delicious Labor Day Entrees
- Malaysian Chicken Satay by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Grilled Hasselback Fajita Chicken by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Maple Turkey Burger with Cheddar, Bacon and Apple by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pork Spiedini Hoagies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sous Vide Sirloin Steak with asparagus by Our Good Life
- Sriracha Deviled Crab Sandwich with Key Lime-Bacon Slaw by Gourmet Everyday
- Tom’s BBQ Spare Ribs with North Carolina BBQ Sauce by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vietnamese Grilled Steak Salad by Palatable Pastime
Luscious Labor Day Desserts
- Blueberry Crisp Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fudgy Brownie Trifle with Chocolate Mousse by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Treats by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement