According to the United States Department of Labor, “Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity and well-being of our country.”
Some people associate Labor Day as the end to summer fun, back to school (back to work for me), a day off or even time to start looking forward to cooler weather.
No matter what Labor Day means to you, you still have to eat, right?
How about some Tuna and Roasted Red Peppers?
- 2 tuna steaks, 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thickness
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
Cut and flatten peppers. Place skin side up if broiling indoors or lightly spray with cooking oil and place skin side down on grill.
Remove when the skins are charred. Put the red peppers in the bag.
Yellow peppers too.
Yep, they’re in there. Fold the bag over and roll tightly shut. The pepper skins will steam loose and easily peel off in about 10 minutes!
Peel off the skins. Cut the pepper into strips and place them in a bowl.
Add the juice of one lemon, cumin and garlic. Stir. Refrigerate for a half hour the marinate.
Lightly spray a piece of foil with cooking spray. Place on the tuna steak and season with salt and pepper.
Top with pepper mixture, juice and all.
Fold top pieces of foil over together and roll up the sides to make a packet.
Place the packet on a cookie sheet on a middle rack in your oven and bake at 425 for about 10 minutes for rare, 15 minutes for medium (the way we like it) but try to not let it bake more than 20 minutes or it may dry out too much!
You can either serve it over rice or noodles or a stand alone with sides.
Nutrition (per serving): 302 calories, 15 calories from fat, 1.6g total fat, 88.5mg cholesterol, 108.6mg sodium, 1343.2mg potassium, 11.4g carbohydrates, 3.2g fiber, 6.7g sugar, 57.1g protein, 4681.7IU vitamin a, 195.6mg vitamin c.
Check out these other wonderful ideas and recipes from our Sunday Supper Club for your Labor Day Event or for anytime!
Labor Day Cookout Recipes:
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit for #SundaySupper by Yummy Smells
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) from Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vineagarete for #SundaySupper by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- #SundaySupper Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout #SundaySupper by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!
We’d also love to feature your Cookout recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!