Orange Meringue Pie
For this Sunday Supper we are celebrating pies! Shortcrust, puff pastry, two-crust, one-crust, crumb crusts, with all sorts of fillings from fruit or nuts, to cheese or meat. Or make vegetables the star! Break out your fancy crimping and lattice skills or make a rustic pie. Baked or non-baked, it’s all good in the pie hood!
I didn’t grow up around homemade pies cooling on windowsills. The air at our house wasn’t permeated with Apple Pies baking. We were a cake and cookie household with the occasional exception of a Funny Cake (cake baked in a pie shell).
It wasn’t until I starting cooking school that I fell in love with pies! Lemon Meringue, Chocolate Cream and Cherry pies became my new loves!
Tender, flaky crusts cradling delicious fillings.
Today I took a shot at an Orange Meringue Pie. Deep orange flavor kissed with tangy Meyer Lemons.
Look at that orange curd color!
Light, fluffy meringue sits perfectly on top.
If you love traditional Lemon Meringue you’ll go crazy for this pie! Sweet and sour never tasted better. Don’t take my word for it. Try one yourself and let me know if it makes your keepers list!
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Meyer Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon plus one teaspoon orange zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in juices and water. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute then remove from heat. Add a bit of hot mixture to egg yolks to temper. Whisk so as not to cook yolks.
- Slowly whisk yolk mixture back into hot curd.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Boil about a minute longer. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and tablespoon zest.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until fluffy.
- gradually beat in sugar a tablespoon at a time.
- Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Top hot pie curd with dollops of meringue. Be careful to cover up all the curd right up to the crust rim to avoid weeping.
- Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle top with teaspoon zest. Cool completely on rack before refrigerating.
Our host this week is Erica from The Crumby Cupcake. Thanks Erica for hosting this Pie-normous event!
Enjoy all these takes on Pies from Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart by The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken Tamale Pie from Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n’ Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement